Traditional Argentinian weaving





I just found this amazing site about hand made Argentinian objects.
These are Aguayos Tapacari. Antique hand woven textile used by most Andean people for multiple purposes.
These mats and blankets are made by traditional weaving methods from the North of Argentina. They are made from alpaca, sheep or vicuña wool (called “vellón”). After shearing this is hand spun into a thin, continuous, thread. Then, a second thread is added and it is spun again to make a strong yet flexible yarn.
Then there is a washing process to remove organic elements and animal grease and sun-dried. Then the wool is dyed using both natural pigments (from plants, fruits, flowers, minerals and other natural elements) and dyes. After this the wool is weaved on the loom.

All these objects can be bought in Buenos Aires at elementos Argentinos
Store: Godoy Cruz 1720 - Palermo Viejo - Buenos Aires - Argentina.
Tel: (54-11) 4832-6299
Business Hours: Tuesdays to Fridays 2 to 8 PM. Saturdays 11 AM to 6 PM.
Mail: info@elementosargentinos.com.ar

I am really going to buy something when I go next to Buenos Aires, but I would just love to go to the North of Argentina and buy direct from the artist there.
As well as the traditional weaving from the north of Argentina there is tradition weaving in the south, in Patagonia introduced by the Mapuche. The Mapuche are Indigenous inhabitants of Central and Southern Chile and Southern Argentina
This is the Mapuche weaving loom or telar mapuche

Image from Crafts Patagonia

My mother is learning to weave using the traditional mapuche telar and has made some lovely things using a mapuche loom that my dad made for her. She has made cushions, handbags, scarves. I would love to learn, next time i go to visit I will ask my mother to teach me.

Comments

Popular Posts