paintings, illustrations

I do not know why I am blogging about this. Just something that has caught my eye, made me think, made me feel, made me cry.

I was mesmerized by this drawing from Illustrator Tomer Hanuka recently made this beautifully tragic piece for Newsweek.


"As Japan reels from the tsunami, archeologists claim to have discovered the lost city of Atlantis, a fabled place built--like much of the world--in the cross-hairs of nature," Newsweek says.

"The idea was to keep the focus on the human peril aspect of this primal threat looming above civilization since the dawn of time," Hanuka says of his illustration.

He also has this beautiful illustration.


It reminds me of Frida Kahlo and her haunting and tragic painting titled "Henry Ford Hospital" or "The flying bed"
In 1932 Frida suffered a miscarriage and was in the Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit and paints herself lying on the bed after her loss.
Frida Kahlo (Mexican, 1907-1954). Henry Ford Hospital, 1932. Oil on metal. 12 13/16 x 15 13/16 in. (32.5 x 40.2 cm). Collection Museo Dolores Olmedo Patiño, Mexico City.
© 2007 Banco de México Diego Rivera & Frida Kahlo Museums Trust

More about that painting here

Comments

Popular Posts